Homemade Chicken Bone Broth
Making your own Chicken Bone Broth is easy and worth the effort. If you missed it, check out my full article on Why I Drink Bone Broth Every Morning. Many people prefer a lighter, chicken bone broth instead of the richer beef broth to start their day. I happen to like both equally as much. However, I find I can change the flavor profile of the chicken bone broth easier with the addition of herbs like cilantro or parsley, or roots like turmeric and ginger.
Using chicken feet is a great way to increase the amount of gelatin in your bone broth. That provides the ultimate “gel” factor once the bone broth has cooled off. When you cook with chicken feet, make sure you skim the top off of the broth early in the cooking process while it simmers. It will provide you with a clearer broth in the end. Squeamish about cooking chicken feet? No worries, skip it.
- 1 lb. Organic chicken carcass bones and/or feet
- 2 large yellow onions washed and quartered, skin on if organic
- 2 carrots roughly chopped, ends removed
- 2 celery ribs roughly chopped, woody stem removed, leaves can go in
- 4 cloves of garlic smashed
- 1 ” fresh ginger root roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 2 cups fresh parsley or cilantro
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 quarts of filtered water 12 cups
- ¼ cup white wine or apple cider vinegar
- Add the chicken carcass, onions, carrots, celery, garlic, ginger, peppercorns, herbs, and turmeric to a large stock pot or slow cooker. Cover everything with water and wine (or apple cider vinegar).
- Bring the liquid to a boil. Skim off any foam or impurities that rise to the top. Turn heat down to the lowest setting while maintaining a simmer for at least 12 hours, and up to 24.
- Add additional water if necessary to keep bones submerged.
- Strain broth into a large bowl through a fine mesh sieve. Discard the solids.
- Transfer broth into glass jars. Store in the refrigerator for up to one week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Healthy Instant Pot Meal Plan
Grab your free download for a healthy, Instant Pot meal plan. All the recipes are gluten and dairy free. Enjoy these easy recipes, set it and forget it!