Pumpkin Gingersnap Cookies
Delicious fall cookie for pumpkin lovers!
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup applesauce my substitution for the second stick of butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar white plus another 1/4 cup for rolling the cookies
- 1/2 cup pure pumpkin puree not tge pie mix, but canned is fine
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour my 2nd substitution for the other cup of white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
In a stand mixer, beat butter, applesauce and sugar together until creamy. Add pumpkin, molasses, egg and vanilla. Mix well.
In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, spices and salt. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Refrigerate dough for at least 2 hours, otherwise it’s very difficult to roll the cookies into balls.
Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place sugar in a small bowl. Roll tablespoon sized balls of dough in sugar and then place on baking sheets. I fit about 15 per tray.
Bake 10-12 minutes, or until edges are set and cookies look cracked. Let cookies sit for 2-3 minutes before moving them to a cooling rack. Let cool completely.